Saturday, 11 June 2011

The Zahir

According to Jorge Luis Borges, the idea of Zahir comes from Islamic tradition and is thought to have arisen at some point in the eighteenth century. Zahir, in Arabic, means visible, present, incapable of going unnoticed. It is someone or something which, once we have come into contact with them or it, gradually occupies our every thought, until we can think of nothing else. This can be considered either a state of holiness or madness.
Paulo Coelho -  The Zahir 
I am rereading The Zahir (even though I never finished it) again by Paulo Coelho, and it just speaks to me.

The idea that there is someone that fills his senses, that no matter what he does, he can't escape it.

The fact she was so much of an inspiration to him.

The fact that he wrote a book, or rather, a long letter, to her. Maybe she will read it, maybe she won't, but he was at peace with himself, he is at peace with himself, and he found a strength from it that he never even realised.

I think this time around, I will finish the book.
as

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Sorry to be so protective, but I will okay and reply to your comment as soon as I see it! Thanks! :)