Thursday, 19 May 2011

OMG HE'S GAY RUN AWAY FAST

I don't know about you, but I sometimes I think it's difficult to be a man in our society today.

We are expected to know all the answers all the time. We are expected to never cry, never show fear (although inside we just peed our souls), never say you don't know what to do (although you really have no idea how to fly an airplane and both pilot and copilot just passed out), never show weakness, in fact, it'll be altogether easier if we just don't show any emotions whatsoever.

Basically, what we are asked to do is to put up a facade. It doesn't matter if you are afraid, pretend you're not. It doesn't matter if you are lonely, pretend you're not. It doesn't matter if you don't know what to do, pretend you're awesome and go fly that plane.

In short, we are expected to be fakers and liars.

Good job, society.

What's your first thought, when a girl is nice and caring to another girl? Oh wow she's awesome and friendly and smart and she smells nice and her hair is nice and her make up is nice and she's so nice.

So. What's your first thought, when a guy is nice, and friendly, to another guy? OMG HE'S GAY RUN AWAY FAST.

So much for social paradigm.

Like I said, we are expected to be cool, calm and emotionally stable, all the time. We must show that we care but at the same time, pretend we don't give a rat's ass.

So if a friend's pet dog - or mum - dies, you must not give him a hug. You may say you're sorry - and maybe pat him on the shoulder, but only if you're in close proximity i.e in elevator - and immediately change the topic to cars or hot girls, or better yet, cars with hot girls in them.

I don't know about you, but it's tiring, pretending to not care while all the while, you do very much give a rat's ass.

But hugs and cars and dead dogs aside, the one thing that a really cool guy must never do is text or write smileys.

Smileys? For a cool guy?
as

4 comments:

  1. 'we just peed our souls'
    hahahha. you so cool ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lionel, I agree with this super a lot.
    in fact my most recent piece for the magazine im interning at was on this campaign running in australia that challenges the gender stereotype of a 'real man'. when its published I'll post the link or something.

    Keep thinking. Keep writing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jowee!

    And yes, please post the link, I'd love to read it.

    :) (therefore proving that I am not cool)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Sorry to be so protective, but I will okay and reply to your comment as soon as I see it! Thanks! :)