Monday, 11 October 2010

twisted message...

You know, as a writer, I get irritated (heck, I think anyone will be irritated) when someone misquotes me, or when someone twists what I write out of perspective into their very own.

Of course, that said, some of what I write (or anyone) is definitely open to the reader's concluding prowess...

But again, having said that, when it is a clear, black and white thing, it's definitely irritating when that happens.

And then it made me think (I do that infrequently, but yes, I do).

How many of us have read words in the Bible, and construed it to fit our own end?

For example, in the Bible it says to leave your parents and go with your wife. And I personally know people who leave them entirely out of their lives because 'it is in the Bible'.

Or that 'tattooing is a sin!!' because in the Bible it is said don't mark your skin, but again, it is in their context. 
Or when you read a verse, and go on to explain that 'to me, this verse means this and that'.

Why don't we read a book and try to understand it in the author's original context without messing up the message in our minds?

But then..if the message changes a life (for the better), even if misconstrued, will the message not have served its purpose?

note: this is one of those posts where the reader can draw his/her own conclusion. and it will be interesting to know what it is, so drop me a message or something...

2 comments:

  1. hey bro..
    here's my 2 cents worth..
    I think anyone who reads the Bible, will have 2 conflicting views thrown at him/her. The Word is living and interactive.. that's why the same passage can apply to so many different situations in life. However, what one hears when he reads the Word, depends on the condition of his heart. Once we're set on hearing something being said a certain way, even if it is contradicted, we will find ways to justify and twist the truth into something we envisioned "truth" to be. The only way we'll ever get it right is to be still and listen to the Spirit when He guides in His small whisper..

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Ster! you always inspire you know, with these small replies :) and i definitely agree with what you said, that there is only one true way to 'get it'.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Sorry to be so protective, but I will okay and reply to your comment as soon as I see it! Thanks! :)