Monday, 21 February 2011

The Male Ego

All of us guys will have it, some more than the others. Whenever the subject of a man's ego is brought up, a negative connotation is usually attached to it. There'd be slight sneers of derision, maybe a joke or two about the size of his package and so on and so forth.

I mean, who likes a man with a head so big it won't fit into doorways? Ego, in other words, means conceited, pigheaded and obnoxious, maybe even a mixture of all three, right?

But, I am here to say that our ego in itself is not a bad thing.

Think about it for a second. A man must believe in himself. He must. He must know and believe that he is the king in his own little world, that by his own hands will his fate be decided. To divert a little, I know some people argue against this, that we rely too much on our strength, but don't you think God would want us to actually USE the facilities that He gave us to mold our world? Maybe I'll think out loud about this in another post.

So, to continue, yes, the man must believe in himself, and believe that he is more skilled than others in certain aspects. If you think that's conceited, then how about this: you want to change the world in a way only you can. How can you affect a change if you don't first believe in yourself and be pigheaded enough to shut out the disbelievers?

So, I believe that in itself, it is not a bad thing, but balance is important. Without it, failure is more or less guaranteed and if there's too much of it, well, there's so many examples in our world today.

I am not trying to make excuses for myself. Yes, I am slightly narcissistic, and yes, I believe that I my footprints will stay on long after I am gone, I believe yours will too. But don't you see? If I did not believe that my words carry weight, you won't be reading this post. America wouldn't have been discovered. Man wouldn't have walked on the moon. But then again, WWII wouldn't have broken out as well if not for the egotistical malice of a failed artist.

But I digress. Maybe, the next time you think of a friend, a boyfriend or a husband as being egoistic, know that his success in life hinges on the fact that he is.

There's this all time best-selling book throughout the ages. In it, it says that 'the meek shall inherit the earth'. I believe they will too. This is where the balance part comes in. I wrote that the man must believe in himself and know that in certain aspects, he is their better. He should not, however, shove that fact into the faces of others.

Now, that, I believe, crosses some kind of line.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Sorry to be so protective, but I will okay and reply to your comment as soon as I see it! Thanks! :)