Saturday, 9 April 2011

Lock It Up and Throw Away the Key

courtesy of relentlesschaos

Over the past couple of years, people have whispered many an advice in my ear. Of course I don't remember them all; I'd have to have what they call a photographic memory - actually it's called an eidetic memory, 'photographic' is a misnomer.

The one advice that I actually remember, because probably four or five people have said it to me (I think I wrote about it somewhere), was to guard my heart. To lock it up, and keep the key safe. Or throw it away altogether.

Guard my heart. The context (all of them) was about falling in love. I'll get to this later, but looking it now, I think it encompasses more. There's so many things out there that can capture a young man's heart. Money, a cause, fame, girls (not love, girls), andsoonandsoforth.

I wish I could say with absolute conviction that I don't want money nor fame for putting my gifts to good use. It's not the main product, but it is a by-product. John Eldrege said that every man needs a cause to fight. The man needs it; it builds the warrior within.

Apropos, what I don't understand is what they expected I would do when they said guard my heart. That I should pray? No offense to the good people out there, but I think sometimes, we over spiritualise things. We ask God about everything. About life decisions, about money and whether we should have milk with our coffee or order an extra large at McDs.

I believe God gave us our acumens for a reason. Use it, not sit and ask, all the time. So when they say to guard my heart, I won't sit on it. If I meet someone, I'd dive right into the deep end, give it my all. Did they expect me to put a toe and test the waters?

You might say that's one of the surest ways to be hurt. Hell, yes it is.

But then again, it is also the surest way to live.

How can a person, go about life poking tentatively here and there? If I find a cause worth fighting for, I'll bleed myself dry for it. If I want something, I'd go for it. And if I tell you I love you, I won't tell you how much, because to add superlatives is to cheapen my words.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying there is no place for rational thinking. Read the above statement : God gave us good senses and wisdom. Use it.

What I am saying is that to be afraid of being hurt, betrayed or a story with an unforeseen ending is no reason to stop going for it and living.
as

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Sorry to be so protective, but I will okay and reply to your comment as soon as I see it! Thanks! :)