Saturday, 2 April 2011

A Tribute to Two Awesome People

My parents and I, we have a very comfortable relationship. It's a very simple policy: don't ask, don't tell. They don't pry into my life, and I don't volunteer much information. Like I said, comfortable.

This may give you the wrong impression, that they don't care. I guess, I'd be surprised to know how much they do, actually. Or maybe I shouldn't, they are my parents, after all. If I had to generalise, I would say 80 percent of Asian households are like this.

The great thing about my parents, is that they let me fall. Repeatedly. They won't force me to do anything that may go against my principles, and they allow me to live my life. I am sure there are times they suspect something has gone very wrong, but they never say a word. My mum usually cooks a nice meal to help, while my dad provides perspective because we view everything so differently. Like it or not, who they are shaped who I am.

I guess, if I were to volunteer information, the truth will shock them. I could tell them I've played hooky tons of times before. Actually, these are the times that define my teenage years. I could tell them that I've smoked before or even that I've had countless near-death experiences whilst driving. Or about my relationships.

I spent much of my teenage years, wishing that we had a different sort of relationship, but looking at it now, I think that this way is the best. I guess, this is as close as I'll ever get to telling them that I am thankful and very contented to be in this family. And that if I could change anything about them, or us, I wouldn't, not a one.

You may think that the Asian parent-son relationship has a lot of flaws, and yes, I agree. But there are many things that works as well; family is important, discipline, how to talk (respectfully) to a parent, that disobedience will bring consequences. And they put family first. My parents have always put family first.

Thanks, mum and dad. For the sacrifices, and the unconditional love. And in many ways, thanks for caring in actions, not words.
as

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Sorry to be so protective, but I will okay and reply to your comment as soon as I see it! Thanks! :)