Saturday, 19 March 2011

Lessons LDR Taught Me

The third and final post on this topic (hopefully, because I don't think this writer can take many more lessons).

Lesson 6: If you love her, let her go.
It's not something new. But, friends, remember, that she was never yours to begin with. No one ever actually belongs to anyone. If they choose to walk with you, it's their choice; if they choose to walk a perpendicular path, then you have no say in it. All of us, even when married, cannot claim ownership of another life. In a sense, the life is on loan from God.
You ever heard of the old maxim? 'If you love something, let it go. If it comes back, then it's yours'. Not really, no, if it comes back, it decides to do so, but it is not yours.

Lesson 7: Have a little faith
It has so far been a short road, but of course I doubt. I doubt her sometimes, and I doubt my heart in this. I guess, there's no cure to this, but to just have a little more faith in her. Obviously, I walked into this liking the strength and character that I saw in her, and I remind myself that my doubts are unfounded and actually quite silly.
It's not just about her. Sometimes, it is hard to find the resolve in wanting to continue walking down this road. I guess, I doubt that I have what it takes to continue on.

Lesson 8: Hope
So much has changed over the course of these months. Of course, I am looking forward to the day when she's back, but people change. I guess, the hope here is that no matter the change, we could find a way to relearn about each other, and that in relearning, we find more to like and more strengths to admire in the other. The hope is that I would not hold on to who she was in the past, and recognise that the person she has become is no less awesome, if not more.

This road, while nowhere as tough, seeing that I am facing challenges on my homeground, has been a long and educational one. A year ago, if you'd have asked me if I would do an LDR, my answer would be an unequivocal no. I am only on this road because I know her for who she is, and I believed it would work. Let's see what the next two months will hold.
as

2 comments:

  1. this is a new way of seeing things... esp the old maxim thing..
    good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks!
    and thanks for commenting :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Sorry to be so protective, but I will okay and reply to your comment as soon as I see it! Thanks! :)