Sunday, 27 March 2011

Say What You Need to Say

Recently, I've been watching this tv show called Lie to Me. And, of course, I know that shows are often inaccurate portrayals of life, but sometimes, they are.

While the show was strictly about half truths and whole lies, it made me reflect a little on my character and our society today. Yes, I would say that I am a very good liar, but that's not the point here.

My point is, why don't people say what they want to say? Putting aside controversial remarks and questions, why is it so rare that people tell you exactly what is on their mind? Of course, this may bring about anarchy under some circumstances, but I am talking about answers to the simplest questions.

"How are you today?"

And I would reply that I am fine, when in actual fact, my cat ran away, someone broke in and killed my dog then set my house on fire etcetc. Why is it so hard to tell a person, "Oh, not too good, but thanks for asking."

Of course, there'd be nothing that I could do for you if all of the above actually happened, but I've found that everyone wants to be heard. You disagree? Well, when you hurt, why do you write songs or poems or create art? I write, and then put it here, because I want to be heard and understood.

So, yeah, why? Is it because vulnerability is a weakness? Because, it's not. To be vulnerable is probably one of the greatest acts of courage. It ranks right up there with picking up a spider with your bare hands.

You ever heard the saying, 'Life is not complicated. We make it so.'? I think it'll be so much easier to live this way then trying to figure out what someone is saying or not saying all the time, trying to read in between the lines and trying to understand the thought behind the word.

Or maybe it's time I realised that people actually say the most when they say the least.
as

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Sorry to be so protective, but I will okay and reply to your comment as soon as I see it! Thanks! :)